Mac you are a PC. And you both suck.Thu 16 October 2008
Mac v PC used to mean something. But not anymore. Macs are PCs. In the past they were not the same, the Macs used different processors and motherboards and came with high-end memory and disks on all models. For quite a long time a stock Mac was far better than a stock PC. You could sort of equip a PC with similar hardware but it still wouldn't be the completely the same. That all changed and Macs started coming with cheap "regular" PC parts, then a few years later they completely switched to selling 100% "PC" computers.
Today when you buy a Mac PC instead of a Windows PC, you are getting a couple things you don't get with a "PC":
The biggest differences:
- You get a different operating system. Superior in some ways , inferior in others.
- You usually get one of the best designed cases in terms of ergonomics and usability
- You pay insane markup on add-on hardware that can be had at PC stores for sometimes 1/10th the price. (To be fair a ton of PC vendors do this as well)
- You get fooled by advertising.
Some other things you usually get with a Mac:
- A fairly standard PC.
- Less choice on changing hardware and software.
- Not many games.
- A self righteous feeling of superiority.
- Victim to the worst vendor-lock-in available in home computing.
- A Photoshop that lags behind the Windows version.